Yes, I just baked half dozen of tartlet to complete my 14 Days Zespri ® Kiwifruit Challenge. It was so fun to play around with Kiwifruits in meals and desserts. If I could spare more times in the kitchen, I would love to experiment more on savoury recipe with Zespri ® Kiwifruit. Too bad, time does not permitted me to do so during these 14 days, was already half dead after work.
Let’s learn about 10 Amazing Healthy Facts about Kiwifruit
1. Bursting with twice as much Vitamin C* compared to oranges and just one Zespri® Kiwifruit meets your daily Vitamin C requirements.
2. A natural source of dietary fibre for a healthy digestive system.
3. Great low fat natural source of Vitamin E, which is well known for its heart health and antioxidant properties.
4. High content of bioavailable antioxidants (Vitamins C & E, polyphenols, carotenoids, etc) to help fight damage caused by free radicals in the body.
5. Excellent for digestion with the presence of actinidin, a unique enzyme that helps break down protein.
6. A source of potassium that is essential for every cell in the body. A 2-piece Zespri® Kiwifruit serving provides about 10% of your daily potassium needs, as much as a banana, but with less calories.
7. A source of folate – a vital need for pregnant ladies for the development of genetic material in a fetus.
8. Low in calories but full of essential nutrients – a great tool for weight management.
9. Low in Glycemic Index (GI) that does not increase blood sugar rapidly – ideal for diabetics.
Zespri® Kiwifruit Tartlet
Sugar Dough Pastry Base:
227g plain flour
Pastry Cream Filling:
46g egg yolk
2g vanilla powder
8g plain flour
8g corn flour
1 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, sliced or diced as you wish
For the pastry base, mix everything together and shape into the mould.
Bake at 180 degree for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and ready for fillings.
For pastry cream, mix well the ingredients (B) in a bowl.
Bring milk to boil. Pour in half of the boiled milk into ingredient (B) and mix well.
Pour the milk-mixture back to the pan and continue to stir the mixture until thicken.
Move the pan away from stove and add in the butter
Pipe the pastry cream onto the tartlet base.
Finally, decorate it with the sliced kiwifruits. Chill for a while before serving.
Depends on the size of your tart mould, recipe above can make one dozen or more with 2.5 inch mould.
Ahhh well, the best way to enjoy Zespri ® Kiwifruit in a fuss free style is – cut kiwi into half, scoop them out & eat!
For more information and recipe on Zespri® kiwifruit, check out www.zespri.com.my